NRTL Certification mark stands for quality and safety-conforming installation of solar PV modules in the USA. Underwriting Laboratories (UL) is one of the labs.
What is NRTL Certification?
For the proper, quality and safety-conforming installation of solar PV modules in the USA, a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) certification mark is required.
There are many Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories, such as:
- TUV SUD
- TUV Rheinland
- Canadian Standards Association
- Intertek Testing Services
- Underwriting Laboratories (UL)
Restrictions without NRTL Certification
Without a NRTL certification mark you:
- Are not allowed to connect solar panels to the grid
- Will not receive Government rebates & tax incentives
- Will not receive coverage from your insurance after your house caught on fire.
An off-grid solar system, for which government rebates & tax incentives cannot be applied for.
States and local codes determine which NRTLs are accepted.